Tags

, , , ,

I’m on vacation, so I went up to my studio just to see what happened. Maybe I would clean, maybe I’d work on a project for an upcoming challenge, maybe…. And then I saw a red glass heart bead I’d gotten a while ago from Andrew Thornton: Project Destash.

I had wire wrapped it with a tiny turquoise Czech glass bead. I can’t even remember the project, but I didn’t end up making it. But I loved how the dark red looked with the turquoise color, so that sent me down a path. I didn’t have a headpin of the right type, so I used wire. Since that gave me the option for an eye pin, I decided to add a small tassel with some chain in the dark red that was on my table.

This is a picture of the necklace described in the blog post.

I played around with that a bit and was using a turquoise bead that had been part of packaging with a necklace I bought from Luciana Lavin. Check out her work. It’s gorgeous! She had also included a tiny little seed beaded tag perfect to use at the bottom of my tassel!

The metal rectangle is a vintage piece I got from Famous Vintage Bead Hoard Liquidation Destash. I got a bag of them. I’m not sure what they are. They are curved and have two spiky bits on each side that I cut off and then flattened the piece. It doesn’t look perfectly smooth on one side, but it has been filed to smoothness. I would not have bought such a thing because I wouldn’t have known what to do with it except that I saw something similar in this Heather Powers video. When the pandemic began, Vintaj gave away kits called Rise and Design. There was a piece included that Heather cut, flattened and used to beautiful effect in a bracelet. I have that kit and planned to make a similar bracelet (still might) but the best type of tutorial not only shows you how to do something, but also inspires you to take the technique and make it your own.

I considered a variety of turquoise colored beads for the strand. These won because I wanted to cover the crimps where it connects with the metal piece with a large hole bead. I used seed beads that matched the metal piece as spacers. I think it turned out very well and was a fun piece to work on.