I have two reveals today! If you are looking for the Art Jewelry Elements April Component of the Month reveal, click here.
Andrew Thornton does regular challenges with kits through his Allegory Gallery. Occasionally, he adds an additional special challenge like this Amethyst Aether kit. He had been wanting to do a steampunk challenge, and it finally came together. Here is my kit:
Andrew’s kits are always wonderful and generous, but this one, as you can see, was over the top chock full! It’s fun to have so many great beads and materials to work with. That’s not all. Andrew includes a Mystery Component he makes himself. It’s always an additional wow!
Although steampunk is not something I’ve got a lot of experience with, I have always thought of it as a mix of romantic and industrial. Before I even got the kit, I had two ideas that I wrote down. I was working on other things and didn’t look at those ideas again until I was ready to start. I was thrilled that I still thought they were good ideas! The necklace below is one of them.
The sari silk in the kit is gorgeous, and lately I just love tassels made of anything. So I decided to make a key based tassel and string it on the silk. I used a variety of keys from my stash along with some lovely purple/blue dangles (from one of Andrew’s destash lots!). Also from the kit I used the clasp, one of the quartz points, a few beads, and the bead cap (love it!!). In addition, I used the little frame bezel charm. I glued some newsprint in it and then covered it with tiny glue back crystals I have in my card making supplies. I am kind of proud of that piece because I’m not always good at thinking of using materials in a different way than they were intended. I absolutely love how this turned out.
I had several ideas for Andrew’s Mystery Component. I ultimately decided to suspend it from an old key with a bit of WoolyWire. I wire wrapped beads from the kit, including the little gear, and the two gorgeous amethyst English cut Czech glass beads to make a beaded chain. I added a Vintaj keyhole charm from my stash. I used a bit of the lovely butterscotch leather from the kit at the back so it would feel soft on my neck.
I tried to make several bracelets but in the end this is the one that worked. I used the large pyrite bead as a focal and the ribbon ends with sari silk from the kit braided with a coordinating piece of ribbon I had. I used beads from the kit to make dangles. The sari silk is so beautiful, it makes everything look good.
Please visit the links below to see what other participants have made with their kits. Have fun!